2 Kings 22:
And it came to pass in the eighteenth year of king Josiah, that
the king sent Shaphan the son of Azaliah, the son of Meshullam, the scribe, to the house of the LORD, saying,
1 Chronicles 3:
And the sons of Pedaiah were
, Zerubbabel, and Shimei: and the sons of Zerubbabel; Meshullam, and Hananiah, and Shelomith their sister:
1 Chronicles 5:
And their brethren of the house of their fathers were
, Michael, and Meshullam, and Sheba, and Jorai, and Jachan, and Zia, and Heber, seven.
1 Chronicles 9:
And of the sons of Benjamin; Sallu the son of Meshullam, the son of Hodaviah, the son of Hasenuah,
1 Chronicles 9:
And Ibneiah the son of Jeroham, and Elah the son of Uzzi, the son of Michri, and Meshullam the son of Shephathiah, the son of Reuel, the son of Ibnijah;
1 Chronicles 9:
And Azariah the son of Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Meraioth, the son of Ahitub, the ruler of the house of God;
1 Chronicles 9:
And Adaiah the son of Jeroham, the son of Pashur, the son of Malchijah, and Maasiai the son of Adiel, the son of Jahzerah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Meshillemith, the son of Immer;
2 Chronicles 34:
And the men did the work faithfully: and the overseers of them were
Jahath and Obadiah, the Levites, of the sons of Merari; and Zechariah and Meshullam, of the sons of the Kohathites, to set it
forward; and other of
the Levites, all that could skill of instruments of musick.
Then sent I for Eliezer, for Ariel, for Shemaiah, and for Elnathan, and for Jarib, and for Elnathan, and for Nathan, and for Zechariah, and for Meshullam, chief men; also for Joiarib, and for Elnathan, men of understanding.
Only Jonathan the son of Asahel and Jahaziah the son of Tikvah were employed about this matter
: and Meshullam and Shabbethai the Levite helped them.
And of the sons of Bani; Meshullam, Malluch, and Adaiah, Jashub, and Sheal, and Ramoth.
And next unto them repaired Meremoth the son of Urijah, the son of Koz. And next unto them repaired Meshullam the son of Berechiah, the son of Meshezabeel. And next unto them repaired Zadok the son of Baana.
Moreover the old gate repaired Jehoiada the son of Paseah, and Meshullam the son of Besodeiah; they laid the beams thereof, and set up the doors thereof, and the locks thereof, and the bars thereof.
After him repaired Hananiah the son of Shelemiah, and Hanun the sixth son of Zalaph, another piece. After him repaired Meshullam the son of Berechiah over against his chamber.
For there were
many in Judah sworn unto him, because he was
the son in law of Shechaniah the son of Arah; and his son Johanan had taken the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah.
And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and
And these are
the sons of Benjamin; Sallu the son of Meshullam, the son of Joed, the son of Pedaiah, the son of Kolaiah, the son of Maaseiah, the son of Ithiel, the son of Jesaiah.
Seraiah the son of Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Meraioth, the son of Ahitub, was
the ruler of the house of God.
Mattaniah, and Bakbukiah, Obadiah, Meshullam, Talmon, Akkub, were
porters keeping the ward at the thresholds of the gates.
Easton's Bible Dictionary
One of the chief Gadites in Bashan in the time of Jotham (1 Chronicles 5:13 ).
Grandfather of Shaphan, "the scribe," in the reign of Josiah (2 Kings 22:3 ).
A priest, father of Hilkiah (1 Chronicles 9:11 ; Nehemiah 11:11 ), in the reign of Ammon; called Shallum in 1 Chronicles 6:12 .
A Levite of the family of Kohath (2 Chronicles 34:12 ), in the reign of Josiah.
1 Chronicles 8:17 .
1 Chronicles 3:19 .
Nehemiah 12:13 .
A chief priest (Nehemiah 12:16 ).
One of the leading Levites in the time of (Ezra 8:16 ).
A priest (1 Chronicles 9:12 ).
One of the principal Israelites who supported Ezra when expounding the law to the people (Nehemiah 8:4 ).
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. 2 Kings 22:3.
2. 1 Chronicles 3:19.
3. 1 Chronicles 5:13; 1 Chronicles 5:17.
4. 1 Chronicles 8:17.
5. 1 Chronicles 9:7; Nehemiah 11:7.
6. Nehemiah 9:8.
7. or Shallum; Nehemiah 9:11; Nehemiah 6:7; Nehemiah 11:11. His ancestors were Zadok, Ahitub, Meraioth (as these two ought to be placed by transposition).
8. 1 Chronicles 9:12; Nehemiah 11:13 omits, an error of transcribers.
9. 2 Chronicles 34:12.
10. A chief sent by Ezra (Ezra 8:16-21, etc.) to Iddo to gather Levites to join the caravan returning to Jerusalem.
11. Ezra 10:15.
12. Ezra 10:29.
13. Nehemiah 3:4; Nehemiah 3:30; Tobiah's son Johanan married his daughter (Nehemiah 6:18).
14. Nehemiah 3:6.
15. Nehemiah 8:4.
16. Nehemiah 10:7-8. Nehemiah 10:17. Nehemiah 10:14; Nehemiah 10:20.
18. Nehemiah 12:13.
19. Nehemiah 12:16.
20. Nehemiah 12:25 or Meshelemiah (1 Chronicles 26:1), Shelemiah (1 Chronicles 26:14), Shallum (Nehemiah 7:45).
21. Nehemiah 12:33.
Holman Bible Dictionary
(meh sshyool' lam) Personal name meaning, “allied,” or “given as a replacement.” 1. Grandfather of Shaphan, King Josiah's secretary (2 Kings 22:3 ). See 1 Chronicles 3:19 ). See 1 Chronicles 5:13 ). 4 . A son of Elpaal (1 Chronicles 8:17 ).
5. A son of Hodaviah, father of Sallu (1 Chronicles 9:7 ). 6 . A son of Shephatiah (1 Chronicles 9:8 ). 7 . A member of the priestly family, a son of Zadok, and the father of Hilkiah (1 Chronicles 9:11 ). See 1 Chronicles 9:12 ). See 2 Chronicles 34:12 ).
10. One sent by Ezra to secure the services of a Levite for a group of returning exiles (Ezra 8:15-18 ). He later opposed Ezra's plan to end foreign marriages because he had a foreign wife himself (Ezra 10:29 ). 11 . A son of Berechiah, he helped Nehemiah repair the walls around Jerusalem following the return from Babylon (Nehemiah 3:4 ). 12 . A son of Besodiah who helped repair the old gate (the Jeshanah Gate, NIV) when Nehemiah repaired the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:6 ). See Nehemiah 8:2-4 ). 14 . One of the priests who joined Nehemiah and others setting his seal to the covenant between the people and God (Nehemiah 10:7 ). 15 . One of the leaders of the people who set his seal to the covenant between the people and God (Nehemiah 10:20 ). 16 . A son of Ezra, head of a priestly house during the time of Jehoiakim was high priest (Nehemiah 12:13 ). 17 . Another head of a priestly house when Jehoiakim was high priest; son of Ginnethon (Nehemiah 12:16 ).
18. A guard of the storerooms at the gates (Nehemiah 12:25 NIV). 19. A prince of Judah who participated in the procession to dedicate the rebuilt walls of Jerusalem ( Nehemiah 12:33 ).
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
MESHULLAM. 1. 2. 3 . Three Benjamites ( 1 Chronicles 8:17 ; 1 Chronicles 9:7 ; 1 Chronicles 9:3 ). 4 . A Gadite ( 1 Chronicles 5:13 ). 5 . The grandfather of Shaphan ( 2 Kings 22:3 ). 6 . The father of Hilkiah ( 1 Chronicles 9:11 ). 7 . Another priest of the same family ( 1 Chronicles 9:12 ). 8 . A Kohathite ( 2 Chronicles 34:12 ). 9 . A son of Zerubbabel ( 1 Chronicles 3:19 ). 10 . One of the ‘chief men’ whose services were enlisted by Ezra to procure Levites ( Ezra 8:16 ); called in 1Es 8:44 Mosollamus. 11 . A Levite who opposed Ezra’s proceedings in connexion with the foreign marriages ( Ezra 10:15 ); called in Esther 9:14 Esther 9:14 Mosollamus. 12 . One of those who had married foreign wives ( Ezra 10:29 ); called in 1E Esther 9:30 Olamus. 13. Son of Berechiah, one of those who helped to repair the walls of Jerusalem ( Nehemiah 3:4 ; Nehemiah 3:30 ). His daughter was married to Tobiah ( Nehemiah 6:18 ). 14. Son of Besodeiah. He helped to repair the old gate ( Nehemiah 3:5 ). 15. One of the company that stood at Ezra’s left hand during the reading of the Law ( Nehemiah 8:4 ). 16, 17. A priest and a chief of the people who sealed the covenant ( Nehemiah 10:7 ; Nehemiah 10:20 ). 18 . One of the princes of Judah who marched in procession at the dedication of the walls of Jerusalem ( Nehemiah 12:33 ). 19, 20, 21. Two heads of priestly houses and a porter in the time of the high priest Joiakim ( Nehemiah 12:13 ; Nehemiah 12:16 ; Nehemiah 12:25 [see Meshelemiah]).
Hitchcock's Bible Names
Peaceable; perfect; their parablesMesobaite
The Hawker's Poor Man's Concordance And Dictionary
There were several of this name in Scripture. (See 1 Chronicles 9:7-8; 1Ch 9:12; 2 Chronicles 34:12; Nehemiah 3:4; Neh 3:6) The name is derived from Shalam, peace.
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Grandfather of Shaphan the scribe. 2 Kings 22:3 .
2. Son of Zerubbabel. 1 Chronicles 3:19 .
3. Head of a Gadite family. 1 Chronicles 5:13 .
4. Son of Elpaal, a Benjamite. 1 Chronicles 8:17 .
5. Son of Hodaviah, or Joed, a Benjamite. 1 Chronicles 9:7 ; Nehemiah 11:7 .
6. Son of Shephathiah, a Benjamite. 1 Chronicles 9:8 .
7. Son of Zadok the priest. 1 Chronicles 9:11 ; Nehemiah 11:11 . Probably the same as Shallum, son of Zadok .
8. Son of Meshillemith, a priest. 1 Chronicles 9:12 .
9. Kohathite who superintended the repairs of the temple. 2 Chronicles 34:12 .
10-12. Three who assisted Ezra on his return from exile. Ezra 8:16 ; Ezra 10:15 ; Nehemiah 8:4 .
13. One who had married a strange wife. Ezra 10:29 .
14,15. Two who assisted in repairing the wall of Jerusalem. Nehemiah 3:4,6,30 ; Nehemiah 6:18 .
16. Priest who sealed the covenant. Nehemiah 10:7 .
17. A chief of the people who sealed the covenant. Nehemiah 10:20 .
18,19. Two mentioned in the succession of priests. Nehemiah 12:13,16 .
20. A chief among the Levites. Nehemiah 12:25 .
21. One who assisted at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. Nehemiah 12:33 .
Mosollamus - 1Es 8:44 = Meshullam , Ezra 8:16 ; Ezra 8:2 . Esther 9:14 Esther 9:14 = Meshullam , Ezra 10:15
Jahzerah - A priest, son of Meshullam
Shephathi'ah, - a Benjamite, father of Meshullam 6
Besodeiah - Father of Meshullam who repaired the old gate at Jerusalem
Jahzerah - Returner, the son of Meshullam, and father of Adiel (1 Chronicles 9:12 )
Sallu - The son of Meshullam
Besodeiah - Meshullam, the son of Besodeiah, took part in repairing the Old Gate
Ginnetho, Ginnethon - Priest who sealed the covenant: he was ancestor of Meshullam
Olamus - OLAMUS ( 1E Esther 9:30 ) = Meshullam of Ezra 10:29 and Mosollamus of 1Es 8:44 ; Esther 9:14 Esther 9:14
Besodeiah - ” Father of Meshullam, who helped Nehemiah repair the gate of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:6 )
Sallu - Son of Meshullam: he returned from exile
Meshezabeel - Grandfather of Meshullam who helped to rebuild the wall of Jerusalem
Meshelemiah - The eponym of a family of Korahite doorkeepers ( 1 Chronicles 9:21 ; 1 Chronicles 26:1 ) = Shelemiah of 1 Chronicles 26:14 , Shallum of 1 Chronicles 9:17 ; 1Ch 9:19 ; 1 Chronicles 9:31 , and Meshullam of Nehemiah 12:25
Ancestor of Meshullam, who assisted Nehemiah in rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem
Berechiah - Father of Meshullam, one of Nehemiah’s chiefs ( Nehemiah 3:4 ; Nehemiah 3:30 ; Nehemiah 6:19 )
Meshelemiah - Other shortened forms include Shallum (1Chronicles 9:17,1Chronicles 9:19,1 Chronicles 9:31 ; Ezra 2:42 ) and Meshullam (Nehemiah 12:25 )
Berechiah - Father of Meshullam
Berechi'ah - (1 Chronicles 3:20 ) ...
A man mentioned as the father of Meshullam, who assisted in rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem
Tobiah - Tobiah though a slave, Nehemiah 2:10; Nehemiah 2:19—unless this is a title of opprobrium—and an Ammonite, found means to ally himself with a priestly family, and his son Johanan married the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah
Berechiah - Father of Meshullam, who repaired the wall with Nehemiah (Nehemiah 3:4 )
Hilkiah - Son of Shallum, or Meshullam, and high priest in the time of Josiah king of Judah
Tobi'ah - But Tobiah, though a slave, (Nehemiah 2:10,19 ) --unless, this is a title of opprobrium --and an Ammonite, found means to ally himself with a priestly family, and his son Johanan married the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah
Meshullam - Meshullam
Jehohanan - See Meshullam ; Tobiah
Shallum - The eponym of a family of gatekeepers ( 1 Chronicles 9:17 bis , Ezra 2:42 = Nehemiah 7:45 ); called in 1Es 5:23 Salum , and (possibly) in Nehemiah 12:25 Meshullam
Shallum - Probably the same as Meshullam in Nehemiah 11:11
Kohathites - During Josiah's religious reforms, two Kohathite priests (Zechariah and Meshullam) helped supervise the work (2 Chronicles 34:12 )
Tobiah - He had the greater power of mischief, being married into a Jewish family (the daughter of Shechaniah), and having his son Johanan married to the daughter of Meshullam, thus he had a Jewish party on his side
Nehemiah - ' And he and Meshullam divided the old gate between them. Meshullam Matthew Henry holds to have been a lodger who undertook a piece of the wall the size of his own rented room